Tuesday 3 April 2012

Double Choc Chip Cookies


Since becoming a mom, I’ve realised that my severe lack of cooking aptitude is soon going to become a problem.
Especially when I received my little one’s school schedule with BAKE DAY emblazoned across the top!
Once a week, each child is obliged to bring some baked goodies in to share with the class.

Panic.

Now, most people would immediately think Woolies = Problem Solved.
However, this mom business is quite a competitive game and I am determined to ensure I’m up there with the big guns…even if I have to fake it till I make it.  Literally.

But... thanks to the discovery of the Donna Hay website,


I am now quite certain that, when my daughter’s BAKE DAY arrives, my Super Mom status will be celebrated!
I found this awesome, super quick and, most importantly, FOOLPROOF Double Choc Chip recipe that even the culinary challenged (a.k.a. me) can get right!

Make these at your own risk…they are addictive.

  
·         125g butter, chopped
·         ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
·         1⅓ cups (295g) caster sugar
·         1 egg
·         ⅓ cup (80ml) milk
·         2 cups (300g) plain (all-purpose) flour
·         ⅓ cup (35g) cocoa
·         1 teaspoon baking powder
·         1 cup (190g) dark or milk chocolate chunks

  Preheat oven to 180°C (355ºF). Place the butter, vanilla, sugar, egg, milk, flour, cocoa and baking powder in a food processor and process until a soft dough forms. Place dough in a bowl and stir through the chocolate chunks. Shape 2 tablespoons of dough into flat rounds and place, allowing room to spread, on baking trays lined with non-stick baking paper. Bake for 12–15 minutes or until brown. Cool on trays. Makes 18.

* To check if the cookies are done, look at the bottom not the top. If you wait until the top looks right you risk overcooking them. To check, lift a cookie with a spatula so you can see underneath. The bottom should be a deep brown colour. Cool on trays as the cookies will continue to cook after you've removed them from the oven.

Mine actually turned out a bit chewy...not sure if they are supposed to be like that (quite possible that I undercooked them *wry smile*) BUT it actually made them nicer as they were more like chocolate brownies...nom nom!



So, bring on BAKE DAY...I'm ready for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment